Common Chimney FAQs
Why does a chimney need to be inspected and cleaned once a year in the spring?
Household fires and carbon monoxide poisoning are two serious risks of using a fireplace or stove. According to the National Fire Protection Association, the best way to avoid these risks is to have your fireplace or stove’s chimney cleaned and inspected at least once a year.
Spring is the best time of year for a chimney cleaning and inspection. There are four reasons why we recommend spring cleanings:
- Quick removal of creosote built up. Creosote is a highly flammable combustion byproduct that builds up in the chimneys. The sooner you remove it, the safer your chimney will be. Hot temperature can ignite it. It becomes harder to remove over time.
- Avoid foul-smelling odors. Creosote deposits can produce a foul-smell when the temperature rises. If you have it removed in the spring, you won’t have to worry about it stinking up your home on hot summer days.
- Have more time for repairs. If a problem is discovered during an inspection, you will have more time for your chimney to be repaired before the next burning season if it is found in the spring.
- Enjoy convenient scheduling. During the spring, chimney sweeps like us have more scheduling options since the days are longer days and the weather is warmer. There is also less competition since many people wait until the last minute.
Is a chimney inspection as important as a chimney cleaning?
Yes, a chimney inspection is as important as a chimney cleaning. Damage to your chimney can be just as dangerous as creosote. Professional chimney sweeps have the training to diagnose potential risks.
Catching problems in the early stages can save you money in the long run and protect you from risks. Many chimney problems, like water intrusion, get bigger over time. Early detection can save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
Is a chimney cleaning messy?
If you are planning to tackle cleaning your chimney as a DIY project, the answer is Yes. It will be very messy. Chunks of creosote and soot will come out of your chimney when you clean it falling to the bottom of the chimney and possibly spreading.
If you hire a certified chimney sweep to clean your chimney, you shouldn’t have to worry about a mess. Professionals, like us, will lay down tarps around the chimney so soot and creosote don’t fall on surrounding furniture or flooring. Once the cleaning is done, you can expect us to not only remove the tarps but also vacuum around that area. We pride ourselves on leaving every home looking as good as it did when we arrived.
How do I choose a trustworthy, qualified chimney sweep?
The best way to choose a trustworthy, qualified chimney sweep is to read their reviews and check their credentials. Professional chimney sweeps will be certified by the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) and fully insured. They should provide proof of insurance upon request. The best chimney sweeps stay up to date on International Residential Code’s as well as state and local codes. A trustworthy chimney sweep will always give you an estimate in writing for any recommended repairs and will provide you with video or photographic evidence of damage.
What can I do if I’m not satisfied with the chimney service I receive?
The first thing you should do is speak with your chimney sweep. They should be able to answer any of your questions or concerns. If they do not address you concerns and you are seriously concerned that you have been swindled, you can contact your local Business Bureau, the regional chimney sweep guild or the Connecticut Attorney General (if you believe that you should take legal action).
What kinds of chimney services do you offer?
Hudson Valley Chimney offers a full range of chimney services. Whether you need a routine cleaning and inspection, chimney maintenance, or chimney repairs, our certified technicians can help. Our chimney services include:
- Chimney Sweepings or Cleanings
- Inspections (including Video Scanning)
- Troubleshooting and Diagnostics
- Waterproofing and Leak Resolution
- Repairs and Restoration
- Firebox, Smoke Chamber Restoration
- Damper Replacement
- Chimney Crown and Cap Replacement
- Brickwork Tuck Pointing
- Flue Relining
- Entire Chimney Rebuilding
- Servicing for Wood, Pellet, Gas & Coal Stoves
- Animal removal
All our chimney sweeps are CSIA-certified and use the latest tools and technology to ensure that your fireplace or stove’s venting system is operating at optimal levels. Give us a call today if you need to speak with a qualified chimney service provider!