Selling Your Home? Generate Sales with an Updated Fireplace & Clean Chimney.
There are many reasons homeowners enjoy having a cozy fireplace. But one reason you don’t want to overlook is that homebuyers often put fireplaces high on their lists of attractive features in a home for sale.
The National Association of Realtors, which is the go-to organization for all things real estate in the U.S., says that as much as $12,000 in value can be added to a home when it has a good-looking fireplace and mantle.
What’s interesting, is that fireplaces increase the perceived value of a home, even when the home isn’t in a part of the country where the appliance is being used five or six months of the year. Fireplaces simply add a touch of elegance to any home, regardless where the home is located.
Of course for home sellers to reap the monetary benefits of a fireplace, the unit needs to look good and be fully operational. Professional inspections, maintenance, repair and cleaning are necessary to ensure that your fireplace looks right and works right for you, and for prospective buyers.
Reasons a fireplace can increase home value
- While aesthetics are always a positive in generating interest in a home, areas in our country that have particularly cold winters make a fireplace even more attractive. This applies even if the fireplace is used to supplement heating from other sources such as central heat or other standard heating appliances.
- If there’s a power outage – as is not uncommon in cold-weather states – a fireplace will still serve to keep the chill out. This is important to many homebuyers.
- Everyone enjoys feeling at home, and research shows that fireplaces enhance that feeling. Even if the unit is rarely used for heating, just the fact it’s there and looking good makes a positive impression on many buyers as they visualize themselves living in the home.
- Prospective buyers who have done their homework know what the National Association of Realtors knows: fireplaces are seen as a valuable addition and can significantly affect the asking price of a home. That means when the buyers someday become sellers, they’ll have this attractor-factor already in place.
- As we mentioned, it’s all about perceived value, and many buyers are willing to spend a little more when their new home is outfitted with a fireplace that looks great and operates at peak efficiency.
If you have a home with a fireplace and are thinking about putting your property on the market, a smart move would be to take a good look at your fireplace and chimney. Are there drafting issues? Has it been years since its last inspection? Do you suspect there are some structural problems as a result of many years of use? If you’re going to use the fireplace as one of the key selling points, you need to solve these problems before you list your home.
Hudson Valley Chimney serves the greater Poughkeepsie, N.Y., area with professional chimney and fireplace inspections, maintenance and repair services and thorough cleanings. We operate a fully equipped hearth and home store where you can get any necessary accessories or purchase a brand new fireplace or stove. Whatever your needs, we’re here to help.
Our retail showroom is located at 3647 Albany Post Rd. in Poughkeepsie. If you’d like to talk about chimney sweep services, call us at (845) 471-1071.