Chimney Safety - Fireplace Safety
Chimney & Fireplace Safety
Keep the Fire You Want from Starting The One You Don’t!
Chimney fires don’t have to happen -
Here are some ways to avoid them:
- - Have your chimney inspected annually by a qualified professional and cleaned when necessary.
- - Use seasoned woods only (dryness is more important than hard wood versus soft wood considerations) Buy your wood in the early spring.
- - Build smaller, hotter fires that burn more completely and produce less smoke.
- - Never burn cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trash or Christmas trees; these can spark a chimney fire.
- - Install stovepipe thermometers to help monitor flue temperatures where wood stoves are in use, so you can adjust burning practices as needed.
- - Inspect and clean catalytic combustors on a regular basis, where applicable
What to Do if You Have a Chimney Fire.
If you realize a chimney fire is occurring, follow these steps:
Get everyone out of the house, including yourself.
Call the fire department.
If you can do so without risk to yourself, these additional steps may help save your home. Remember, however, that homes are replaceable, lives are not:
• Put a chimney fire extinguisher into the fireplace or wood stove.
• Close the glass doors on the fireplace.
• Close the inlets on the wood stove.
• Use a garden hose to spray down the roof (not the chimney) so the fire won’t spread to the rest of the structure.
For more chimney safety tips,
visit the Chimney Safety Institute of America.
We use the latest tools and technology to ensure that your chimney and other systems are operating at optimal levels. All of our technicians are CSIA-certified specialists — up to date on International Residential Code’s as well as state and local codes, and ready to address your particular needs. We provide comprehensive, reliable services that have stood the test of time since 1976.
- Chimney Sweeping and Cleaning
- Inspection (including Video Scanning)
- Troubleshooting and Diagnostics
- Waterproofing and Leak Resolution
- Repairs and Restoration
- Firebox, Smoke Chamber Parging
- Damper Replacement
- Crown and Caps
- Brickwork Tuck Pointing
- Flue Relining
- Entire Chimney Rebuilding
- Wood, Pellet, Gas & Coal Stoves
- serviced and repaired
- Animal removal